Wednesday, April 04, 2007

learning to breathe on my own

"So I don't want to be the last, I don't want to be the first,
Don't want to be alone with my thoughts tomorrow,
And I don't want to be afraid, don't want to look away,
I'm learning to breathe...

... I just need a hope and a light to follow,
Like sailors look to stars to find their way home,
I'm learning to breathe on my own.
"
Nerina Pallot

"When there's only one way that you can go.
No thoughts. No questions asked.
Dreams do not inspire. They haunt.
Your world is full of people.
But they pass you by.

The only way is forward.
Perhaps the thought could be left for later.
Dreams go on; remembered or not.
Look a little harder.
The people are in your heart."

Its a stupid way to come to terms with growing up. It's easy to depend on other people. There's no easy formula to wisdom or adulthood. Some of us, who have only seen the world with childish eyes can't seem to grasp the depth of real existence. Where accounts must balance. Boring tasks must be done. Excitement is not always an option. Security, feasibility and rationality rule your life.

It is hard for people to suddenly accept these things. It is harder to practice them. There really is no 'stepping' into the real world. Its just out there, waiting, to slap you in the face.

No comments:

Analytics